Ginger is a flowering plant grown for its edible underground stem which is widely used as a spice and medicine and originated in Southeast Asia. Ginger is brown, with a corky outer layer and pale-yellow scented center. It is a tropical plant that grows best in warm and sunny climates in a deep but well draining soil loam that is high inorganic matter.
The Zingiberaceae or ginger family is one of the largest families with approximately 1200 species of plants found in the Ginger family, about 1000 occur in tropical Asia. More than 150 wild and cultivated zingiberaceous species have been reported for Peninsular Malaysiaand40-50 species have been widely utilized for various purposes.
Major commercially cultivated species are Zingiberofficinale, Curcuma longa, and Alpinia galanga. Ginger has beenreported to be useful as food, traditional medicine, spice, condiment, dye and flavor.
1. Ginger Varieties
|Baby Ginger||Also called green ginger, pink ginger, spring ginger, young ginger, stem ginger, or new ginger. It is usually candied and stored in some type of basic syrup. It is very commonly used in baking and in pastries, and it can be used in everything from seasoned butter to mincemeat, and much more.
One of the most popular uses of baby ginger is to make Pickled Sushi Ginger
|Blue Hawaiian Ginger
|This type of ginger is compact, low in fiber, and bluish in color. It is somewhat bigger than other types of ginger, and it can turn from blue to purple as it matures. The interior color is beige, and it has a pungent aroma.
|White ginger is also called African ginger, and it is a large Indian herb that is cultivated for its beautiful white, fragrant flowers. The rootstock is frequently dried and scraped before being used in various recipes.
|Yellow ginger is the most common type of ginger root used in the United States for recipes. It can also be called turmeric, and it is good for healing wounds, various types of pain, and even skin infections. Yellow ginger is an analgesic that is also anti-inflamma-tory, so it is a food product that serves numerous purposes.
In Vietnam, there are 3 popular types of Yellow Fresh Ginger:
Ginger varieties ( Source: Tridge.com )
2. Ginger Grade
Source ( Tridge.com )
|Form||• Peeled, scraped, uncoated: whole rhizome with the corky skin removed
• Rough scraped: whole rhizome with the skin partially removed
• Unpeeled or coated: whole rhizome with skin intact
• Black ginger: whole rhizomes scalded before being scraped and dried
• Bleached: whole rhizome treated with lime or diluted sulfuric acid
• Splits and slices: unpeeled rhizomes, split or sliced
• Ratoons: second growth rhizomes, small, dark and very fibrous
|Whole Dry Ginger Root
|• Size; Whole Piece
• Shape; Root
• Color; Light Yellow
• Drying; Process Air Dried
• Moisture; 14 % Max
• Insect; 0 %
• Mould; 0%
3. Factors that determine ginger price
- Origin; Importers in different countries prefer the more expensive supplies from Peru and Brazil, or Vietnamese Ginger.
- Quality of Production method: Types of ginger roots, fertiliser, pesticides, soil and weather conditions.
- Season: Export prices increase in the weeks ahead of the Chinese New Year. After that, the business focuses again on exports and prices tend to stabilize. The winter season is always the high season for ginger.
- Cost Of Production.
- Cost Of Transportation
- The processing methods: The freezing storage temperature and quality factors associated with color, off-odor.
4. Ginger Processing ( General Processing )
- Ginger Washing;
Fresh Rhizomes should be washed, and cleaned from debris, shoots and roots.
- Ginger Peeling;
Fresh ginger in young form has a pale, thin skin that does not require peeling. Fresh mature ginger is tough, which requires peeling to get to the fibrous flesh. Fresh ginger is either chopped or grated before use. Dried gingers are sold with the skin left on or peeled off, while peeling or scraping can reduce drying time.
- Ginger Splitting;
Farmers traditionally use manual methods of splitting ginger using a knife, which is slow and labor-intensive while the splitting machine is used for large scale production. Ginger slicing machines canslice ginger with a capacity of 200 kg/h or500 kg/h, and the machine is cost-effective.
- Ginger Bleaching;
The peeled/scraped rhizomes may be bleached to improve appearance. Fresh ginger is dipped in aslurry of slaked lime followed by sun drying. When the water dries off, the rhizomes are again dipped inthe slurry. This process is repeated until the rhizomes are uniformly white in color. Dry ginger can also be bleached this way. Liming can also protect ginger against pests during storage and shipping.
- Ginger Drying;
Drying should be done to 8-10% moisture, and should not exceed 12%. In most growing areas, the traditional method of drying ginger by sun drying is used. The peeled split/sliced ginger are placed onclean bamboo mats or on a concrete floor and sun-dry for 7 to 14 days. In places where unfavorableseasonal conditions prevail, modern methods using mechanical or solar dryers are also used.
- Ginger Powder Crushing;
Dried ginger can be grinded to produce powder ginger with 50 to 60 mesh size. Ginger powder crushing machine gets ginger crushed by the impact & grind function of the relative motion between active and fixed fluted discs, and impact between the materials. Easy operation, adjustable fineness.
- Ginger Oil and Oleoresin;
Ginger oil is obtained by steam distillation of the ground dry ginger, while ginger oleoresin is obtained from the powder by solvent extraction.
- Ginger Packing;
Bulk ginger rhizomes may be packed in jute sacks, wooden boxes or lined corrugated cardboard boxesfor shipping. Dried ginger slices or powder are packaged in kraft multi-wall laminated bags.
Agreso’s Export Standard Fresh Ginger Processing
- Fresh ginger after havesting will be transported to processing area of Agreso factory.
- Check the input ginger weight by weighing scale.
- Wash the ginger to remove the soil on the ginger root, the ginger is washed with pressure water jet to make sure the ginger is always clean and beautiful.
- Cut and remove sprouts.
- Ginger classification by weight and export standards of Agreso
- Ginger is dipped in disinfected water ( meetings health safety according to HACCP standard ) to ensure the highest quality of ginger preservation.
- Dry ginger with a high-powered fan for 13 hours continuously on the shelf.
- Ginger is placed in plastic tray after drying and store at room temperature ( remove damaged ginger if any )
- According to customer requirement, ginger will be packed by carton or mesh bag.
- Check the weight again after packing and palletizing and loading to container
- Delivery time depending on each market , contact Agreso to order and discuss for more details.
Vietnamese Ginger Seasonality
Vietnamese Ginger is planted from early spring (January – February) to late spring (April-May). At the end of the year, from October to November, we can collect ginger every year. The growth time of ginger is 8-10 months from each variety.
For more detail about Agreso Ginger, please contact:
Whatssap: (+84) 783112358
Phone: (+84) 0269 2205 168